End Semester Examination 2008
I Semester B.A.
Course Code: OEN 131 Time: 3 Hours
Max Marks: 100
Model Question Paper
I. Answer any 5 of the following: (5x5=25)
- What are the characteristics of Metaphysical poetry?
- What supernatural elements does Pope use in “Rape of the Lock”.
- Compare and contrast the settings and language of Blake’s “The Lamb’ and “The Tyger”.
- What are the images of
that Shelly describes through “Ozymandias”? Egypt
- What is comedy of manners?
- What are the different stations of life that a person could choose to live in that Robinson Crusoe’s father speaks about?
- What are the salient features of Elizabethan theatre?
II. Section B
Answer any 3 of the following in 250-300 words. (3x10=30)
1. How is
2. Analyze the role of the supernatural elements in Macbeth. How do they help in the progress of the play?
3. How does Addison comment on the economic conditions of young men in
4. The conflicts of marriage for love and marriage for property is one of the primary themes of Northanger Abbey. Discuss.
III. Section C
Answer any 3 of the following in 350-400 words (3x15=45)
1. Attempt a critical appreciation of Coleridge’s “Kubla Khan”.
2. Discuss the features of Shakespearean tragedy with reference to Macbeth.
3. What is Gothic fiction? Explain how Northanger Abbey is a satire on the Gothic novel.
4. Discuss The Way of the World as a comedy of manners.