Attempt a semiotic study of Girish Karnad’s play assigned to you. You may finalise your own topic/title around the play assigned. If you wish you may do a semiotic study of the translation of the play to the language you are most familiar with. In which case please inform me in advance and during the submission of your research paper, attach a copy of the translation.
You will be evaluated based on understanding of semiotics, research competence displayed, and overall performance. Should you wish to incorporate any other criteria do let me know. Please ensure that you are making an argument in your research paper.
You will have to submit the paper in hard copy, printed back to back, and email a soft copy to me. Format: A4 paper, 14 font size, 1 ½ line spaced, font- Times New Roman. While the hard copies will be bound and made available in the library for general reference, the soft copies will be uploaded to this blog and scribd.
Date of submission will be decided mutually during my lecture hour tomorrow.
· Tuglaq (Jijo, Priyadarshini)
· Hayavadana (Joe, Payal, Swathi)
· Bali: The Sacrifice (Aditi, Tomy)
· Naga-Mandala (Anjali, Sarjoo, Sunita)
· Tale-Danda (Anju, Saima)
· The Fire and the Rain (Fancy, Shreyasi)
· The Dreams of Tipu Sultan (Gorgia, Yashaswini)
· Flowers (Harita, Thammanoon, Samji)
· Broken Image (Jolsna, Sayori)
· Wedding Album (Levin, Priya)
· Yayathi (Namitha)
· Semiotic study of the self-translation of Naga-Mandala (Rashmi)
All the plays are available in Collected Plays: Volume One and Collected Plays: Volume Two by Girish Karnad, except for Wedding Album which is printed separately. The copies can be found in the library.
All the best