Sunday, March 23, 2008
To reduce your work esp at this critical period i thought i will drop the peer review part. Of course i will have do some explaining to the office. Will take care of that.
Hence you do not have to give two copies of your research paper. One hard copy would do.
At the same time i want you to upload your assignment to www.turnitin.com. Below is a step by step approach to uploading. Remember, uploading your assignment is mandatory. Just in case there is a misplacement, i can rely on your uploaded copy. if there are problems please seek the help of your friends. If you still can't do it, please email me.
Remember, your name, register no and class and date of submission should be on the top right hand corner of the first page.
Followed by title of the paper. and the text of the paper.
please print the paper only on one side of the A4 size paper. font size 12/ font : times new roman or agaramond.
1. Go to /http://www.turnitin.com/
2. Click on New Users button on the left hand top corner of the page.
3. Select the option Student and click Next
4. Enter your class id ( 2228118 ) and password (ultimatum) and click Next
5. Enter your email address which you normally use and click Next
6. Enter a password for your turnitin account. Re-enter it and click Next
7. Select your Secret Question. Write an Answer to the question.
8. Enter your First Name and Last Name
9. Click on I Agree – Create Profile
10. Click on End Wizard and Login, if you do not want a demo
11. Click on your respective class
12. Click on the submit icon
13. Enter your First Name, Last Name, and Submission Paper Title and click on the Browse button to upload the file. After uploading click Submit.
14. Check your write up and if it is ok, click on Yes, submit. If not click No, go back
15. Copy your submission id. A digital copy of it will also be sent to your regular email account.
16. Click Logout
Thursday, March 06, 2008
I FEP SUMMER INTERNSHIP – APRIL, MAY 2008
Guidelines for the group assigned to me:
- Prepare a proposal in about 100 words and email it to me. The proposal should include name and address of the newspaper where you would be doing your internship, a brief write up on that newspaper, reasons for your choice of that particular newspaper, your plans during the internship and your opinion on how the internship will help you develop as an effective media person. The proposal should reach me on or before
15 March 2008.
- You are to collect a diary from Mr Kennedy by showing the receipt for Rs 30 paid at the admission office. Make entries into the diary on day-to-day basis. Your diary entries should include the assignments you were given, details of how you went about doing the assignments, new things you learnt about the field, about yourself and your abilities that day. After a few days, the diary entries will look similar, clichéd and monotonous. It is up to you to find newness and creativity in your internship everyday.
- During your internship in the newspapers, try to get as many by-lines as possible. They will carry a lot of weight on your CV later. However, you will soon realise that it is not easy to get them. Most of the time the news briefs or news stories that you write will be published under the title ‘From our staff correspondent’ or ‘_____ News Network.’ Do not lose heart.
- Try to build as many contacts as possible both within the organisation and with people you meet in the field. You will realise the value of it during the internship and later as you try to climb the professional and social ladder.
- Try and do challenging news stories or features. See if you can come up with your own topics for features or news stories. Remember journalism is literature in a hurry and has a very short life span. Therefore, timeliness of an article or news is the most crucial value that will prove your talent and ability. Your genius is not what will make you valuable but your consistency.
- Compile the copies of your published works regularly, be they briefs, news stories or features in a file. You will have to submit them along with your on-the-job reports when the college reopens.
- If you want some guidance, want to share your success or failure feel free to email me anytime
06 March 2008 Anil Pinto
------------------All the best------------------
A note from Abhaya that was sent on 7 April 2009.
- the internship diaries are over; so do not pay at the office and come with a receipt for the diaries. maintain a 50 page book as your diary. write the daily activities, date, and get it signed by your mentor in the organization; do not forget this task; you may not be able to remember everything you did during your internship
- show interest in work and get some work; this is the time when you get your contacts and test your own ability to work with professionals
- do not forget to get appendix; if you are unable to get some evidence contact your guide, so that alternatives could be worked out before you finish your internship and return empty handed and land in trouble
- mail your guides once a week; it would be easy for them to suggest things if you are in contact regularly; regular contact with the guide has 5% marks