Christ University, formerly Christ College affiliated to Bangalore University was established in July 1969. In the following three decades it became the most preferred educational institution in the city of Bengaluru. It also holds the rare distinction of being the first institution in Karnataka to be accredited by National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC for quality education). In 2004, University Grants Commission (UGC) conferred Autonomy on the Institution. In 2005, it became the first College in South India to be re-accredited with A+ by NAAC. UGC identified it as an Institution with Potential for Excellence in 2006. On July 22, 2008, the Ministry of Human Resources Development, Union Government of India, under Section 3 of the UGC Act, 1956, vide Notification No. F. 9-34/2007-U.3 (A), declared it a Deemed to be University, in the name and style of Christ University.
Christ University established Department of Management Studies, in 1991 with a clearly defined approach for creating quality managers and entrepreneurs required to face the challenges of the corporate sector. The department offers undergraduate courses in Business Management and Administration, Masters Programme in Management and Finance and PhD programme that involves in-depth research works in different functional areas of management. The department offers following undergraduate programmes
1) Bachelor in Business Administration (Honors) – Is a 3 year, 6 semesters programme currently offered in the Hosur road campus and is planned to be moved into the new Bannerghatta road campus shortly.
2) Bachelor in Business Administration (Finance and International Business) – Is a 3 year, 6 semesters programme currently offered in the Hosur road campus and is planned to be moved into the new Bannerghatta road campus shortly.
Department of Management Studies offers the following Post-Graduate Programmes
1) Master of Business Administration (Financial Management) - Is a 2 year (4 Semesters) program, specializing on various aspects of finance, including financial analysis and control. Formerly this programme was known as Master in Financial Management (MFM). From academic year 2014-15 the MFM programme was renamed as MBA (Financial Management). The programme lays emphasis on relevant areas of accounting, taxation, commercial law, investment, and general management. The program involves theoretical and case study modules and an internship of 45 days in financial analysis and financial management. The program is designed to meet the global demand for financial engineers who can understand sophisticated new financial products, model their cash-flows, price them accurately, using rigorous mathematical and computational tools, and trade and manage the risk arising from such products. The course is held in the Hosur road campus.
2) Master of Business Administration (Executive) – Is a 2 years, 4 semester programme for working professionals that focuses on the development of conceptual, analytical and management skills in the fields of Accounting, Economics, Finance, Information Management, Marketing, Operations and Behavioral sciences. The classes are held on weekends at the Hosur road campus.
Two year full time Post Graduate Management Program (MBA) are also offered under the department – Christ University Institute of Management (CUIM). The Institute of Management was started in 1994 with a view to promote quality education, research and consultancy in Management. Christ University Institute of Management functions in two campuses within Bangalore City. Main Campus is attached to the central administrative buildings of the University. Kengeri Campus started in 2009 is located on a 75- acre plot which has a picture perfect natural ambiance complete with an herbal garden as well.
Institute of Management offers the following courses
1) MBA programme – A 2 Year, 6 Trimester MBA programme with the following specializations viz. Finance, Marketing, Lean Operations and Human Resource at the city and Kengeri campus.
2) MBA (Christ University) and MS (Virginia Commonwealth University) dual degree programme – Is a 2 year programme wherein the student spend initial 12 months at the Christ University main campus and complete the entire first year MBA curriculum including internship. Thereafter, students will spend another 3 months at Christ University main campus taught by faculty from the Virginia Commonwealth University, USA. Then students will go to USA and study in the VCU campus for a duration of 9 months. The students upon successful completion will obtain two degrees from two universities in two years with an international exposure of 9 months in USA. At VCU campus, students can opt for any one of the following three concentration available in MS program:
1. Master of Science in Business with a Global Marketing Management concentration
2. Master of Science in Business with concentration in Finance
3. Master of Science in Management Information system with Information Risk, Security and Assurance concentration
Upcoming MBA programmes at Christ UniversityMBA Leadership and Management(with specialization in Education, Health and Social Care ) - Is a two-year MBA programme in Leadership and Management offered by Department of Professional studies with an objective of empowering middle and senior level employees in the education, health and social care sectors to transform them into professional managers. The programme attempts to equip the candidates with key competencies to understand, initiate and implement changes in the work settings