Margot Waddel and Michelene Wander
The mystification of theory and art, rebounds on the impact of the framed objects; they cannot carry the weight of the significance attributed to them and become weak visual metaphors for an esoteric intellectualisation.
1. Topic Sentence: 'Post Partum Document', which was at the Institute of Contemporary Arts this autumn, aroused much publicity and some notoriety.
Key Word: notoriety
Concerned – some aspects of exhibition – ignored both by media and by Laura Mulvey
2. Topic Sentence: we recognise the importance of the issues Mary Kelly has chosen treat as an artist, and the seriousness and ambitiousness of her project.
Key Word: the mutual mother socialisation process
Feel – the gap between – her intentions and her actual achievements – opposite effect of its apparent aims
3. Topic Sentence: she draws on a relatively new area of psychoanalytic theory to transform selected moments of her relationship with her own child.
Key Word: psychoanalytical/linguistic knowledge
Deep understanding – meant to help provide – basis for women – theorise their own experience. Either viewer bring the knowledge – or use the folder of notes
4. Topic Sentence: However, the note themselves are highly selective, and quite obscure to anyone unfamiliar with concepts and terminology.
Key Word: mystify theory
Mary Kelly – aware – of brief notes – extending understanding – closing gap between – theory and art – serve to theory even further
5. Topic Sentence: The exhibition, free to anyone who wants to walk in, appears to be open and accessible; in fact it is opaque and not so much participatory as excluding and exclusive.
Key Word: esoteric intellectualisation
Mystification of theory – rebounds – impact of the framed objects – cannot carry the weight of significance – become weak visual metaphors – for an esoteric intellectualisation
6. Topic Sentence: We do not simply longer and better notes, but question the whole form of presentation Mary Kelly has chosen; such a heavy dependence on an inadequately presented theory can only distract attention from the 'artistic' nature of the work.
Key Word: nature of psychoanalysis
Because of inadequacy – exhibition is in danger – provoking impatient.
Two important related effects – firstly, depoliticising of vital feminist issues – secondly, confusion about nature of psychoanalysis