Sunday, November 18, 2012
15th Nov Translation Studies
Discussions of class on 15th Nov 2012.
Expectations of the class:
· The class to share with each other translations of Indian forms which they come across.
· Every student to read the essay and share their understandings which helps all to get different prespectives of the same essay.
· To collect everyone’s prespective of the essay and threading everything together (by teacher) to evolve a framework.
· Discission in the class should be able to help in translations.
· To learn: why and how to translate? – linguistic, legal and social aspects.
· Balance between theory and practical.
· To learn aesthetics of translation and translation review.
· The essays to be completed in time.
· Key concepts of the essays to be given (by teacher) and a class discussion on that, prior to reading the essay so that it’s esaier to understand the essays and saves time too
[discussion: if key points are given in advance to our reading we may miss out on other points which we would otherwise make a note of. Also, it’ll make us think on one particular line and not give space enough for our own understanding.]
· To find the relevance of ‘theories’ of translation and to develop practical ability.
· Whole class as one to locate points in essays.
· Being able to relate to the essays.
· Reading essays at home and discussing it in class.
Ø Keya Majumdar’s essay